View Single Post
Old 2008-06-28, 04:25 PM
roomful

Re: Can I make a case for AIFF files in the Audio Torrent Forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomful View Post
The only thing is, if you do a lot of transfers @ 24/96, it's going to eat up a LOT of CD-Rs and burning time. Stereo 24/96 is 34.56 MB/minute, or a little more than 20 minutes of audio per CD-R. One hour show= minimum 3 CD-Rs, likely 4 depending on song tracking.

Another option: you could get a bit accurate sound card, like an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 or something, and Soundforge or the free prog CD-Wave (audio editing software to record the signal), and digitally transfer from the Alesis to your comp via a coax cable, and save on media costs and burning time, and still use the AD converters of the Alesis for analog transfers.
Tell me about it - I archived a few shows to 24-bit a while back, and it was EATING CDs.

If I'm going to make a 24-bit transfer for torrenting, I'll want to keep an archive copy for myself, and that means burning it to CD to put on the shelf.

Regards, Graham
You could still archive them to disc using the bolded method. Transfer > track > compress to FLAC & write text file > torrent & archive. I use DVD+R so I can fit lots of shows on one disc in FLAC format. It's much more efficient than burning data CD-Rs. A lot less time spent burning, and all the shows are losslessly compressed.

Archiving uncompressed WAVs or AIFFs to CD-R is about the most inefficient way to archive IMO, no offense.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes