Thread: Tapedeck Rant
View Single Post
Old 2019-11-17, 11:12 PM

Tapedeck Rant

I've been here for years and never posted anything. Now I CAN'T STOP...

I recently remastered around 50 of my master recordings from the last 50 years. Many will be posted here. My main tape deck, a beloved Sony tcd5 died after 35 years and I was unable to repair it.How many of you guys use tape decks regularly? Have you tried to buy a new tape deck lately? You can't buy a good cassette deck today, they're all cheap Chinese knock-offs with the same cheap transports and electronics. Dried rubber, lack of replacement parts,Dried out capacitors,*Worn heads, and technicians who either can't or won't repair them. My Sony's idler wheel went out and you can't buy a replacement part for Love or money. You can take a chance on a used tape deck on eBay but it may need repairs or restoration if it's 20 to 30 years old. I have some really old cassettes that are holding up very well ,40 year old cassettes and they play great. 40 year old cassette decks are dropping like flies on the other hand. Cassettes May outlive the machines we play them on. That's why it's important to digitize your tapes soon. In another decade fine quality cassette decks will be a medium of the past. Is your cassette deck still running, or does it have problems? I'd like to know how you guys around here are negotiating with your tape decks? Or perhaps, you have a secret technician that we all need to know about. With my Sony cassette deck down I was lucky to have a nice Denon cassette deck with no miles on it so my recent remasters of my master cassettes came off without a snag. How's your cassette deck treating you? I think this is a serious problem 4 old tapers. Everything is digital now and there may not be a need 4 cassette decks very soon.
Whadda ya think?*Thanks guys.*
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes