View Single Post
Old 2006-02-02, 09:13 PM
Funk Is Its Own Reward

Re: PC won't recognize DVD drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisistoto
That doesnt necacerialy (wow bad spelling) mean that it wont work. Just that they wont help you with technical problems.
That sucks.

Quote:
Go to your device manager and see if anything is flagged (including the drive when its connected)
The device doesn't show up und "DVD/CD ROM drives." It does show up under "USB Controllers," as "USB Mass Storage Device" and it is flagged. I double clicked and I get a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". It suggests that my BIOS or EFI may be outdated. I'm going to check the HP website to see if there is an newer version.

Quote:
I would first try to rule out a bad cable/bad USB slot by using it with something that you know works (ie i duno something)

Do you have automatic updates turned on? The reason why it worked once and not know is because during that time there could of been an update to a driver that doenst recognized the drive anymore.

the cables/ports work fine with other devices.

the last auto update I had was January 12th but I have used it since then.

Thanks for your help. I have to stop the troubleshooting right now 'cause I'm going to see the Rebirth Brass Band. I'll update the thread later.