Thread: Modern Day FMs
View Single Post
Old 2007-09-04, 03:59 PM

Re: Modern Day FMs

My understanding:

Over the air FM received on a normal radio such as in your car is not a compressed signal. It is an analog Frequency Modulated radio wave. Digital data can be sent using Frequency Modulation as well but you wouldn't be receiving that unless you had a digital receiver.

Obviously this is totally independent of the original source that is being broadcast. If you play a mp3 on a FM station you would get a lossy recording and FA. Much the same as taking a mp3 and encoding to flac. Just because a torrent is in a lossless format does not mean it is a lossless recording. That's why FAs are often required and always appreciated.

And to my inexperienced eye, they all three look lossy. There are sharp drops below 15khz and the SAs all have a clear sharp line at the same level. These are often seen in mp3 sourced shows at these levels. This could be true for satellite and digital radio feeds as well depending on the compression ratio they are using.

I believe that if a mp3 source was broadcast over the air, that would account for the signal above the cuts and explain why there isn't more black above the sharp line in the SA.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by GIGFY26; 2007-09-04 at 04:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes