View Single Post
Old 2007-07-20, 08:05 AM
Trader since 1980

Re: Lossy Digital-sourced radio sample?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
Nothing to inspect, IMO. All (big/commercial) radios are lossy nowadays - terrestrial broadcasts are also very compressed and very often over saturated to be more 'loud'.

Edit: I'd prefer that a digital capture is seeded in native format: MP2 or AC3. Conversion to WAV>FLAC doubles their lossiness and size.

So, no FM broadcasts, at TTD, then, if all radio is lossy........? There's a torrent category for them.....

I'd love to get a pure digital stream, but the digibox outputs either analogue, via 2 x RCA phono L/R, or 48kHz PCM via single RCA phono. All of my radio captures these days go onto my Alesis Masterlink @ 48kHz, and get archived to CDR with sample rate conversion by the Alesis to 44.1kHz. Everyone recommends EAC, which stores the files as .WAVs, and .FLAC or .SHN are the preferred files for torrents, so I HAVE to convert WAVs to FLACs .... No?

Any FM tuners out there will only output an analogue signal via 2 x RCA phono L/R, so those will have to be D/A converted to start with.....

Do you have any recommendations for gear that does output mp2 or AC3?

Regards, Graham
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes