View Single Post
Old 2005-07-22, 06:36 AM

Re: Do CDs and CDRs degrade by playing?

Thanks for your advices. The matter remains mysterious.

Scratches and or fingerprints or other physical damage are not the cause. The problem arose especially with a series of Sony CDRs which I burnt on a friend's PC and tried to play on my players, but also with a number of different CDR brands burnt and later played on my equipment, and with SOME but not all factory pressed official CDs: played fine ONCE on mine, then never again. Some get corrupted later (suddenly after many times playing - just like back in days when we had vinyl).

I don't suspect that the reading laser DESTROYS data necessarily, it's rather the idea that it may add a tiny piece of data which corrupts the CDR. Odd is also that these corrupted CDRs play fine always on another friend's equipment. When he eventually rips a copy for me (onto imation), then this imation CDR rip is ok on my equipment.

After all observations, I cannot but conclude that a reading laser burns some information on CDs and confuses some (my) CD players. Whether this is an addition or deletion - I don't know.

One of the consequences would be that a backup has to be made of all media Or simply never play the stuff meticulously recorded ...
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes