View Single Post
Old 2006-12-24, 06:37 PM
Long Distance Runner

Re: Hard Drive is full - Original Music Files vs. Back-up Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
summary: I cannot stress the point enough that you should keep your original FLAC/SHN/APE data files due to the extreme difficulty in recovering this data without errors from audio cdr format. For DVDs use the EXTRAS_TS method for best results, then you have a playable DVD with all of the extras right on it without having to burn 2 copies.
Cool - I will make sure to hold onto the additional txt files, checksums or other source documents for the future (looks like I should generate my own checksums for the few recordings where they were not included originally?). And... I will put some cash away for another Hard Drive for 2007. Thanks for the lo-down!

I seem to remember a thread here that went into depth about archival strategies. I have been thinking that it is better to have a bunch of smaller hard drives (100G or 200G) rather than one big one (like terabyte), because of the likelihood that these products are prone to crash. It is better to lose a little than a lot.

Also, thanks to Diggrd… I will I will look at the par files as another strategy. Even though I have never done any redundant data recovery, yet... it doesn't mean I won't have to in the future. I’ll leave space on those dvd’s from now on.

I hope everyone is enjoying the winter solstice (here in the northern climes). Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes