View Single Post
Old 2006-01-09, 10:17 PM

Re: Allocating files?

I'm not so sure. I use BitTornado also. When d/l'ing a torrent with more than one file, you can go to details and right click on one of the files and click "download first". Then instead of getting all of the files in whichever order is most available (usually a small percentage of each at a time), it will finish downloading that file first. Once that file is 100%, it's symbol turns yellow and you still can't do anything with it. It's like it is locked. If you finish allocating it, the symbol turns green and you can play the file. As far as fragging goes, I think the whole point of torrents it that when you start it, it creates dummy files the same size as the actual download. Then it breaks it up into small pieces and replaces the dummy parts with the real parts as it goes. I asume the fragmentation is determined before the download even starts. If your worried about fragmenting, defrag before you start the torrent. If you plan on downloading all of the files in the torrent, there is no need to download one first and allocate it. It will allocate all of the files automatically when they are finished downloading. (Unless you want to sample one of the files and stop the torrent if you don't like it.) I don't think that it actually means allocating space on the hard drive for the file. I think that is done initially. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes