View Single Post
Old 2007-04-11, 02:59 PM
TTD Staff

Re: Serious Problems - VHS - Need Help

i'm guessing yer running into issues due to the fact that both decks are PAL and yer tryin to transfer NTSC...furthermore, i wouldn't use a SA DVD recorder, they have poor A/D conversion and don't usually give you much control over the amount of compression used...

if these are truly unsurfaced shows, and good quality low-gen tapes, they deserve a decent transfer/author...you need a good quality NTSC VHS deck...you'll then run that thru a A/D converter to yer comp for the capture...the cheapest A/D converter i'd recommend would be the Canopus ADVC-110, most everything else on the market for cheaper is cheaper for a reason...the 110 will give you good results...

in addition, i'm not sure Virtual Dub is the way to go for editing...again, ya get what ya pay for usually...about the cheapest windows-based editing prog i've heard thats any good at all is the TMPGEnc software, but i edit on Macs so i can't speak from experience

the other option would be to have someone do the transfers/authors for you...there are atleast a dozen folks that regularly visit TTD that have the capabilities for transferring and authoring...depending on what bands/shows these are, there's probly a few people who would be willing to put the time and effort in