View Single Post
Old 2007-05-10, 11:13 PM

Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

We all agree trading MP3s made from a lossless source is pure evil, but this discussion should focus on the best source. If given the choice of a good sounding recording from a MP3 recorder or a terrible sounding lossless version from a cheap tape recorder, deep down inside wouldn't you want the better of the two regardless of source?

The idea is to keep things pure, so we want "Source > WAV > FLAC". That's what should be shared, period. If the only source (or best source) is a high quality MP3, then why not consider it acceptable? If the arguement is all lossless sourced records have a full 20kHz tonal spectrum, that's easily disproved on this website and it's the elephant in the room nobody talks about.

Why ban a recording who's specturm ends at 16kHz and is the "best source", yet give an inferior, lossless sourced show a green light? I've read FM broadcasts are compressed (correct me if I'm wrong) which technically makes them lossy ... using TTD's rules they would have to be banned, too.

In conclusion, MP3s have a bad stigma, but calling all MP3s bad is outright audio bigotry. As audio historians, we'll deprive future generations by placing draconian rules on the Master or Best Source.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes