View Single Post
Old 2006-04-12, 10:43 AM
Yeah, that's a zebra donkey

Re: Firewall Issues I can't figure out

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I have a dynamic IP address, however, I have a static *local* IP address. Each of these is addressed in a different area. Your computer needs to be set up to have a static IP address. It will look like 192.168.1.xxx. In your router, you will find that IP addresses are mentioned in a couple of different areas. You want your ISP to be able to random assign you one, however, you need to be able to manually assign your computers an IP (the local one). That is called DHCP and that needs to be turned OFF in order to use a static local IP. Once you set that up, you need to restart your computer.

Sorry if this is all repeated, but you mentioned you went back to a dynamic IP address in your router and I'm not sure you should do that (but again, it depends on if you are talking about the IP your ISP assigns you or if you are talking about DHCP).
Sorry to not be specific. I was refering to a static local IP. At this point it shouldn't matter though because I have put my settings back to exactly what they used to be (basically I would have the ports forwarded to whatever local IP I was assigned, and whenever I noticed that I was firewalled again I would look to see what my new IP was and then just change it in the port forward, this worked just fine). I have no idea what the darn problem is. Does the computer need to be reset each time I open ports too?

Edit: Restarting the computer did nothing.....I would like to get this working in it's original configuration and then try the dynamic IP again, but I just can't for some reason