View Single Post
Old 2008-05-23, 01:34 PM
Hello.

Re: audio cassette tape to pc hard drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I still can't seem to get any sound. What's an r9?
An Edirol R-09, a portable digital recorder. Let's go over this again. You have the connectors on the "Play/line out" jacks on the back of your deck? And the other end plugged into your "line in" jack on your sound card? Make sure you have the right one. On my sound card, it's really hard to see. It's the arrow pointing INTO the circle-ish kind of thing. Make sure there's no switch on your deck to turn on the line out on the deck. Some pro cassette decks have this. If that all checks out, it's something in your PC.

In the lower-right corner of your screen, right click the speaker icon, and click "open volume control." You'll see a bunch of sliders, marked Volume Control, Wave, CD Audio, and maybe a few others. Click "Options," "Properties," then select "Recording" under the "Adjust Volume For" area. Click "OK." You should see more sliders, with various labels, depending on what brand of sound card you have. Make sure nothing is muted, and that "Stereo mix" or "Line in" is selected. Play the tape and run the recording program while you're doing this, so you can tell when it starts working.

If all that checks out, then the problem is most likely in the recording program. The only one I have experience with is Cool Edit Pro & Audition. I use a USB audio interface, and I have to select it as an input device in Cool Edit in order for it to work, and it changes back to the default whenever I close it out. But, that always seems to be my problem.

If that doesn't solve it, you're on your own. You may have a bad cable, your line out may be bad (both unlikely; you'd likely get SOMETHING, rather than nothing at all), or the sound card may be bad.

If the tape in question is important enough, you might want to consider asking someone with better equipment and more experience to transfer it for you.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes