View Single Post
Old 2008-07-17, 10:49 AM
Now he's just a bag of garbage

Intermittent firewall issue

Hey, i wonder if anyone has an experience like this, or can otherwise help me out.

First off, i'm running Win XP Pro. I'm on a home wireless network running from a Linksys WRT54G router. i have a Paradyne DSL modem. i have gone through all the steps at Portforward.com for setting up a static IP address and forwarding my port through the router. i've also forwarded it through the modem, and when that didn't work, set the modem up as simply a bridge.

i'm using UTorrent v1.7.7. i have turned off windows firewall and also turned off the wormprotection feature of Norton Antivurus.

Ok, so Canyouseeme says my port is open, but i am listed as firewalled by the site. However, this is not consistent. In fact, the other day i was on two torrents and i was listed on one as not firewalled and as firewalled on the other. UTorrent gives me the green checkmark at all times.

i have a feeling that there is some kind of random problem where connections are occasionally refused, or seen as refused (line noise? busy computer?), because i have been to canyouseeme and have tried it numerous times on the same port and have been given three different results within minutes of each other (connection refused, success, and timed out)

Anyway, i don't think that i am actually firewalled as the speeds i'm getting are pretty good (150 kB/s down, 50 up). But i know that that is not a reliable sign that all is well, so...

Any help? Should i care?

----------Nothing is Real!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes