View Single Post
Old 2010-02-25, 11:18 AM
TTD Staff

Re: VHS Transfers & Quality [moved from the Van Halen Largo thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by awolfoutwest View Post
Why focus on his screen name? Totally irrelevent. Kevin (lordsmurf) is a really nice guy who I've corresponded with occasionally since I started transferring. I can't vouch for his credentials, but he isn't just spouting bad info. He is in the commercial video field, and much of what he says is verifiable and sound. Has he been in error on some things? Yes, but so have you and I. The info he provides is just that - another voice to be compared with other knowledgeable voices to form a consensus. No single source should be relied upon, in my opinion. He is genuinely trying to help the online video community and doesn't deserve to be dragged through the mud because you're frustrated.
nothing against him personally, i got frustrated with sabkisscrue's incessant "lordsmurf" name drops and with the constant ignoring of fact [data, specs, etc] for subjective opinion and speculation...as quite a few have pointed out, trying to discuss anythng with sabkisscrue/deuce8pro/etc is like running in circles banging yer head against a wall...i was hoping he'd prove them wrong...oh well by gones

but i sincerely apologize if it came off as "dragging him [lordsmurf] through the mud"...i don't doubt his experience & knowledge, but i also don't know him or can vouch that his word means anything [lets face it, videohelp.com isn't exactly the online hub of video professional worldwide ]...and i certainly ain't gonna take the constant referencing of one person's opinion as the end-all-be-all, cuz as you accurately pointed out -- there's a lot of expert voices

we've all been wrong, and we all know that there's no press-a-button-done solution...don't take my ord on anything, GO OUT AND TRY DIFFERENT METHODS! but there are general rules-of-thumb, & i'll stick with the methods & opinions of a) the people i know personally who do this in far higher capacities than i, b) personal experience & training, and c) the overall consensus of the professional video community

those who wanna ignore everything but their way, by all means...slainte!