View Single Post
Old 2007-04-11, 06:59 AM
TTD Staff

Icon4 Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunic
Hi,

I've been using TLH for years without a problem. But I recently bought a new PC, and when I installed TLH on it (version 1.1.1 build 90), the program had continuous crashes (mostly "list index out of bounds" error messages). Tried to reinstall, but that didn't help. Tried some more stuff to resolve it, didn't help either.
Just now I replaced the file shntool.exe in my Windows folder by the most recent version (3.0.2) I found at http://www.etree.org/shnutils/shntool/ and this seems to have solved the crashes. Before replacing I tried to see what version the old file was, but couldn't tell from the properties window.
The only thing that does happen now is what ozjeremy already described a few posts above me: when extracting shn files theres an error message saying:
d1Track01.shn: file is possibly truncated or corrupt.
It seems to have gone well though, the wav file did get generated and seems to be playing well. Also, the file details of this same shn file are generated without a problem.
Winamp doesn't want to play shn files anymore though either, even after reinstalling the shnAmp plugin. But I have way more flac files than shn, so I don't care that much about these remaining issues. Since now I can use TLH again without crashing. Decoding flacs and all other features seem to go well now.
Do not use Trader's Little Helper with the new versions of shntool (3.0.2) or flac (1.1.4). Use shntool v2.0.3 and flac v1.1.2 that come with the installer of TLH.

The new flac.exe wasn't very much tested by me yet, so TLH might work with it free from errors. But you will be in serious trouble if you use shntool v3.x.x, for example:

- TLH will always report that there are no sector boundary errors.
- Creating/verifying shntool md5 fingerprint files (.st5) will fail.
- Verifying flac fingerprint files in "full verify" mode will fail.
- Decoding/testing shn files may not work properly.
- In general some file and/or process errors may not be detected, logged process results may be wrong.

All this is caused by a in parts somewhat different output of shntool (that TLH has to analyse), and shntool commands that have been changed. At the moment I am re-writing core parts of TLH to work with those new releases but it will take some time.

It would be great if some experienced folks could do some heavy beta testing over the next about three months. Please send me an empty email with the subject TLH 2 beta if you are interested. But be warned: TLH 1.x.x and TLH 2.x.x can not co-exist on the same system without serious problems. So if you want to do beta testing you have to use a second (real or virtual) Windows OS that you don't use for your daily work with TLH. All first beta releases will be incomplete: you'll get all that was re-done and testet by me. On a regular basis (about 10-14 days) the next part will be ready and a less incomplete release will be available via the new build-in update function.

Robert
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes