View Single Post
Old 2005-12-20, 05:48 PM
alfienoakes101

Re: Cue sheets, disc images, tag info and online databases

Sorry about the old "b**tleg" tag. I don't know what I could have been thinking, and rest assured I hold sellers of these recordings in as much contempt as the rest of you. As I intimated at the start of this topic, I'm new to this site, although I've been boo... trading for some time now.

The reason I've been using images until now, is because I found it was far easier and cheaper to trade images and .cue files on DVDR's - and far more reliable because I'm able to do bit to bit verification at the burning stage - than producing countless CD-R's. Like a lot of people, I do most of my listening on hard drives these days, and haven't really got the inclination to manually input track information for every title I listen to.

Although it's true that the information on cddb isn't always wholly accurate (and the same could certainly be said for half the silver disc boots that I own), I've found it absolutely essential whenever ripping to MP3. Having said that, I've not yet converted FLAC directly to MP3, and so I don't know whether tag information will somehow appear in the resultant files.

I guess it's also the purist in me, that likes the idea that my copy is as close as indistinguishable to the original as is possible; but from what I'm realising from browsing this site, my notions of "original" are not wholly appropriate, as the recordings here do not seem to be comprise predominately liberated CD boots.

Either way, people here seem to agree on the notion that some sort of standard would be desirable, and I'm happy to have instigated the debate.

And by the way, to anyone seeding any Beach Boys recordings: a cue sheet would be greatly appreciated, and I volunteer to meticulously submit any information that's available.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes