View Single Post
Old 2005-02-21, 09:11 PM
DeepElem

Re: Defragging drives with shn/flac files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
Nina,

Defragging can't harm your files. The process has a couple of failsafe checks built in, so even if your computer powers down in the middle of it, you won't lose any data.

I've had good results with the defrag util built into XP SP2, I think it's actually based on the Diskeeper engine.

The best way to deal with churning a lot of files is to install 2 hard drives, and keep one for the OS and Applications, and the other strictly for SHN/FLAC/DVD files. Also, make sure that any programs like NERO are writing their TEMP cache files to the Utility Drive, not the OS drive. Keeps fragmentation lower. This means that your computer will run faster and more efficiently, and the bus traffic on your IDE chain is more manageable, so you'll get better performance out of your IDE DVD Burner that you have on your secondary controller. You should NEVER have a burner and hard disk attached to the same controller channel....

Mr Wazooz,
I know you are the fucking expert on everything, with that said.
I started defragging a 200 gb Maxtor 7200 with Disk Keeper, had a power outage, machine would not boot, hung up, had to unplug that drive.
Tried running scan disk, Norton, Etc, Etc, kept getting error, disk is in use by a utility, such as defrag.
Ran Maxtor's utilities, gave error "could not read drive"
Tried to reformat it from Maxtor's Boot Disk, Could not format, not enought memory.
Finally Got it formated using MaxBlast CD.
But this drive was doing something all the time it was hooked up, got hot as hell, I had to unplug it just so it wouldn't melt down.
So, unless you are the Super Genius you want ppl to think you are, don't give advice, unless you have encountered the things you want to express your super ego about.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes