View Single Post
Old 2006-11-17, 08:34 AM

Re: Video Rule #8 Clarification

I see that your response to my torrent report was to change your rules to allow the very type of poor quality lossy re-encodings you previously banned:

Quote:
8. Digital cable and satellite broadcast rips are permitted so long as a complete listing of the software and hardware used to make the rip is listed. No video webcasts are currently allowed.
Webcast videos captured to DVDs are not permitted at this site as the video quality of webcasts is currently not up to a reasonable standard. Digital TV broadcast captures are permitted, as long as the lineage is provided. The optimal way to capture is through a DVB Card in your computer with no standalone in the lineage, however, due to the cost involved to accomplish this, we will allow the use of a DVR type recorder, such as a Standalone DVD Recorder.
If cost is the justifaction for allowing recordings made using a Standalone DVD Recorder, then you have been misinformed. The very reason I started using DVB cards to make digital recordings of TV broadcasts was their price in comparison to standalone DVD recorders - a DVB card can be purchased for less than $50.

This is why I'm such an advocate of DVB cards - not only do they allow you to author DVDs which are bit-perfect digital clones of the original digital TV broadcast (i.e. theoretically perfect video and audio quality), they are also by far the cheapest solution.

Were there any other reasons behind the decision to start to allow standalone DVD recorders to be used?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes