View Single Post
Old 2009-01-19, 09:52 PM

Re: tape transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada View Post
Five... I trust your opinion and so do a lot of us here at TTD. The real comparison would be to do two transfers... one xsfer in 24/96 and another xsfer 16/44. Then, I would suggest comparing the 24/96 with the downsampled version. And then compare those with the 16/44. I realize that many of us can't playback 24/96 today... but the tapes are getting old in some cases. How long before we all listen and share 24/96? I feel more comfortable archiving 24/96 on my aging masters. What is your opinion?
thank you kindly

I think you have the right idea. Archiving at 24/96 is the best digital quality we can achieve at this time, altho its been said that korg 1bit technology is beyond all that and who knows what's coming up in the future. Another possibility would be archiving to 30ips half-track analog (!!) since that is as transparent as an analog generation can get and keeps digital right out of it. You always lose something when you convert analog to digital, the copy is close but not quite the same as listening right off the analog master.

Personally, I archive at 16bit/44.1 or 24bit/44.1 and keep the analog tapes in a cool, dry place. And on special occasions (5+ years or so) I pull out the original masters and give them a spin at full volume--that's what they're for!! I guess I would archive at 24/96 if I was better at keeping track of my digital stuff.

Never playing the masters is like restraining yourself from having enthusiastic sex with your wife for fear of wearing out her you-know-what, then one day you wake up and you're both 80+ years old and her you-know-what isn't anything you'd want to wear out anymore anyways. does that make sense? (did I really just say that? )

anyhow its a personal decision & there's lots of good info in this thread to make it an educated decision

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes