View Single Post
Old 2007-11-27, 07:26 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff

Re: mp3 format?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterr
This is exactly what I was referring to. I sensed a definite hostility in your message. Maybe I'm wrong. I was just asking a legitimate question. I’ve been to a lot of shows all over the country and I understand why you want to preserve the quality but other people have different needs and different reasons. I will gladly respect your wishes and not post any “eMPty3s” here.
The points about (not) seeding MP3s here have been covered, except the one about seeders stating the seeds should not be converted to MP3s. What the statements should say is that lossless files should only be converted to MP3 for personal, end-user use and should always be traded as lossless - so other end-users can convert them to their preferred portable format without having the effects of being double-encoded, say, from MP3 to WMA - which will sound terrible.

While we support the adherence to seeder's wishes and usually agree that people getting a recording for free should be mindful of what the seeder asks, it is generally accepted that once you put something on the Internet for free, you no longer have any control over what is done with it and expecting 100% of the recipients to follow your wishes is ridiculous.

Of course, many people will need to convert what they get to MP3 (hopefully high bitrate) so they can listen on portable players - but this site is about trading high-quality audio, so audio that is intentionally degraded (MP3, WMA, etc) isn't allowed - mainly to keep the pool clean.