View Single Post
Old 2004-12-16, 06:10 AM
Renegade Geek

Re: DVD Out Of Standard

Jumping in a little late on this one....been a few days since I've really been around. But I want to respond.

First, I would do the re-encode to make it compliant to the standard. Though in 99% of cases it is not recommended to re-encode anything, this is a situation where it would be appropriate to bring the disc into spec. I would use DVDShrink for the job, which will allow you to select "optimal" compression to make the thing just barely fit onto a single DVDR...it should only compress it just a little bit. Be sure to use the same video system as the input stream.....

Which brings me to the second point....no one is saying to buy a DVD player to play out-of-spec discs, and your analogy thus fails. Lynne and I both recommend these players because they reliably will read both NTSC and PAL STANDARD discs, whereas many other players will not. As an added advantage, they will accept some non-standard video files, but trading these is still not good practice, and we're not meaning to condone it.

But you should get one of these just so that you can get stuff across international borders without having to re-encode, as the standards used in different countries are not always comptible with our hardware.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes