View Single Post
Old 2007-05-10, 10:44 PM
Tubular

Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

Correct me if I am wrong, but mp3's and MiniDisc's ATRAC don't just cut off the high frequencies. That is just the telltale sign in a SA/FA. They also get rid of information all throughout the spectrum by throwing out info deemed less important, or less noticeable. So the master cassette that cuts off at 15kHz and the mp3 that cuts off at 15kHz are very different. The cassette contains more info, not to mention that it is analog. Analog recordings contain more info than digital recordings, though the size and quality of the analog tape used makes a big difference. It would be interesting to compare (same mics, caps, preamps, cables, location) a purely digital DAT sourced recording w/ a good AD converter (Apogee) > lossless transfer with a master metal cassette recording on a Nakamichi high end deck > @ 24bit/192kHz capture. Also cassettes and reels can be transferred @ 100bit/500kHz or whatever 25 years from now. DAT's can't sound better if they are upsampled and bit expanded (to my knowledge).
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes