View Single Post
Old 2007-05-10, 05:41 AM

Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

well this whole thread got me thinking about recent developments and where the future of state of the art trading will take us. I guess that allowing atrac MD aud recordings to be traded came from etree. Especially back in the 1990s MD was the only compact affordable option so a large number of concerts are only available from these lossy tapers. But that is no longer the case. I'm thinking we should have a cutoff date for them and after that only allow atrac MD recordings made before that cutoff. everybody's making the upgrade, and wav recorders are available in all price ranges. I was reading that you can get used edirol r-09s online for $55 these days.

So this got me wondering what new developments in recording technology have happened in the last few years and what trashy little tapes might be getting recorded on equipment that's "below TTD standard" so to speak. It seems almost every concert photo I see that shows the audience has a sea of cell phones held aloft (whereas it used to be lighters back in the day). Okay a lot of those are taking crappy little pictures that are probably not of much interest but many of them are shooting video, a couple minutes at a time here and there during the concert to catch some exciting part of the lightshow or a personal favorite song.

The people shooting these cellphone vids might upload them on youtube and link it in a discussion at the band's board or some fansite board and after a while these links sorta die out. Looking to the future, say the year 2042 when introverted teens are getting into some rare unreleased classic rock from the 00's I can't help but think how great it would be to get a hold of some of those many cell phone vids to document a little bit of the visual aspect of the show. Of course, a nicely-shot stealth video neatly authored to DVD is tops but those aren't showing up for every single show.

Like I was saying before, its llike 8mm was in the 70s, except a little better.

Check out this 8mm compilation from 1972:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A07JZBBL

it jumps all over the place because the guy obviously didn't have enough film or the intention of filming the entire show, but wouldn't you want a little collection of these kind of vids to go with any audio show that you enjoy? These kind of little vids seem disposable now, but in 20+ years...

so as for what I'm suggesting, maybe a forum just for untampered cell phone videos on bittorrent/rapidshare with lineage. It would serve to preserve these clips better than everything getting transcoded to awkward flash videos and stuck on youtube for a brief time only.

I'm on a limb, looking for some input here...

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes