Thread: ? for Mac Users
View Single Post
Old 2005-05-24, 01:23 PM
TTD Staff

Re: ? for Mac Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHarald
Why do you need a log if the files are exactly the same? And I mean EXACTLY the same.

On a Mac, the files appear as .aiff on the CD so you can verify them against the copies on the hard drive. It's like copying a data disc really. Is it not that way on a PC and is that why there's so much fuss about CDs being copied perfectly and not?

Compare it to this: When we discuss copying DVDs, it's all about copying data and verifying with md5 checksum files for 100% perfection. No report, no EAC. What's the difference here?

Appreciate the input,

Wender
all in all wender, having an Extraction Log is simply important to some collectors/traders, including myself...now, some might argue that its superfluous, and for them it may be--but given the numerous "versions" of a show that can be found floating around in the "gene pool", the more info that can be passed on with a show, the better...

also, note ffooky's post above, another argument FOR xACt and extraction logs...

even if the "extra" info is unimportant to you, its very much appreciated by certain others in the community [and the # of "certain others" is quickly growing]...it might take an extra 2 mins MAX of yer time, and since this is really only going to be performed when a show is first seeded [or when receiving Audio CD formatted shows in trade and transferring them to lossless data for archiving--why people don't switch to only trading lossless data i'll never understand ]

in all honesty, and for the good of the whole taping community, i really think shows should include ATLEAST:

--the audio tracks [flac/shn/etc]
--an extraction log
--a .wav md5 checksum
--a lossless checksum [ffp or md5]
--lineage/info text

but hey, maybe i'm just an anal audio snob who wants to know everything about a show...

glad we can discuss all this though, need more Mac Techie discussions going on as our numbers are growing [bwahahahahahaha mr gates! bwahahahahaha!]