View Single Post
Old 2008-10-19, 04:18 AM
Jesus Christ

Question should you limit the number of downloaders in torrent software?

i am contemplating limiting the number of downloaders that can connect to a torrent via my torrent agent at any one time because i figure that it will spread the torrent faster if people are able to complete the download in a shorter time.

right now i allow (and always have allowed) every leecher to connect that wants to. but i noticed that my torrent agent (Azureus) instinctively spreads the torrent more to the people that have less of it, ie: people newly joining the torrent. this means that people who are very close to completing the show will have to wait longer each time a new person joins the swarm.

or does it?

am i, in fact, doing the right thing by allowing everyone to connect to me whenever they like?

would it be better to let, say, 10 people complete it and spread it around while i only accept a new leecher every time an older leecher becomes a seeder?

i know this isn't a big deal, but it sometimes seems silly when i see that i have uploaded 4 GB of a torrent that is only 3 GB and the most that anyone has is, like, 80% of the torrent.

what do you think?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes