View Single Post
Old 2005-01-08, 05:57 PM

Question Re: Help with Port Forwarding...

I am so frustrated with this Port Forwarding, and I think I've got a relatively simple setup. I just don't understand the terminology (TCP and UDP, Local Server, Client, Remote Server, Client and corresponding ports to forward) and can't determine where to make the config changes in either the bt client or the firewall.

I have WinXP (Win firewall turned off), Azureus 2.2, and the Sygate personal firewall. I thought I had the settings figgured out before, and had what might have been decent uploads at nearly 40 kB/s but thought I could improve speeds after reading some other sites/threads. SO I tinkered, and now I get 0 kB/s. I think I tried to set the ports in Sygate to the 6881-6889 range for the
remote server, and now it's dead. I think Azureus, since it's a java application, needs to have both Azureus and JavaW set up in the firewall, but I don't know that for a fact. I also fiddled with the UnPNP plug-in, and disabled it as some other page suggested that, but I just got more confused. I've tried to undderstand the Azureus setup post higher in the thread, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

My ISP is SBCglobal dsl (adsl?) and a decent connection of 1.2 Mbs (claimed, but today seems slow?). I don't get the same IP everytime I connect, so I don't know what to do with that field in the firewall either. So, does anyone completely understand my frustrations, and can come to my rescue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeath
I don't think I saw this in any FAQ here or linked from here. Maybe I'm blind. But I think something should be added to wherever saying this:

"If you don't know your computer's IP address, go to:

Run -> Type 'cmd' -> Type 'ipconfig' at the command prompt

It's the first one listed."

It's different for those without Windows XP, so maybe add that one, too. If I had seen that before, I wouldn't have had trouble.

Roger Waters - Hamburg 1970
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes