View Single Post
Old 2005-08-09, 06:31 PM
TTD VIP

Re: Standards for Naming Torrent Folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygee
Freezer - What I meant was if a taper "trades freely", outside of a small trusted circle, then he should be concerned with the quality of what he gets back in trades, and he should appreciate good trading practices.
Since I've been a member of this site, I have not been offered anything resembling a trade.

I have had demands made of me and I have been called a hoarder while the shows in question are available (just not from me) and I have supplied other recordings to collectors in order to circulate, but "TRADE"???

What means that word, Kemosabe???

And as far as receiving the same quality as I'd sent out, I found that unless you trade solely within a small circle of tapers, then it's "Caveat Emptor" all the way, baby. ( I've seen on a certain torrent site where the phrase, "sounds good" is considered lineage. and on a 10th gen bootleg of shows that I recorded, no less...)

However, your newest comment opens a different can o' worms, doesn't it?

Once the recording is past that small circle, how do you verify lineage? How can you be absolutely and positively sure that the lineage is correct???

Quite simply, it's virtually impossible.

Case in point: I recorded a Pink Floyd show on 4/28/77 in Baton Rouge. I traded one copy in 1977 (from my safety copy) to someone who traded it once. That's 3G at the least. However, that recording has just popped up in the PF low gen trading circles with a bogus lineage. How do I know that? I've seen it listed variously as a master clone to a 2nd generation cassette. (I've also had someone I trust send out e-mails to some of these low gen collectors who usually answer, "well, my 'un-named' friend told the so." )

This is how bogus lineage starts to circulate.

I saw the same thing happen with the 12/1/74 Yes concert I recorded in Baton Rouge.

I see it's also being traded as a master "series" -- whatever that means.

Again, bogus lineage. (I haven't listened to the master tape in 27 years. How could someone get a master "series" without getting a copy of the master?)

So should I waste my time contacting anyone to set them straight?

Why bother...the show is out there, it's in "public domain".

Pink Floyd 4/28/77 & Yes 12/1/74 - Caveat Emptor, baby if you're looking for a master copy. BUT you can get a copy...nobody's hoarding these shows...you just won't be getting a verifiable low gen recording.

I did my job, the shows have been circulating for over 25 years.

(However, I do have a couple of shows I recorded last week in the French Quarter in N'Awlins that I'd like to get out. Anybody want to spread some genuine New Orleans shows from master recordings? PM me and let me get these discs out to somebody who will promise to share them. THESE shows are uncirculating.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygee
I've downloaded a show or two from you and I know you are a great taper, if I forgot to thank you then I am thanking you now. I think the last one was that torrent with several versions of "Black Napkins" that you released, I really enjoy that.
With all due respect, I appreciate your vote of thanks for the assorted 'Black Napkins' .....BUT - you must have me mixed up with somebody else. I have never uploaded anything. I have supplied recordings to others to be seeded, but never been involved in an actual torrent other than to comment on it or the lineage.

However here's a quote, sent to me in a PM by a friend I met on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???????
In the last year I, and others, have witnessed a lot more people who seem to expect something for nothing. Why is it when someone posts a review of a new release they have received the first thing out of someone's mouth is "when's the torrent?" I find that disrespectful. I bring it up now because I now see it more often than I see "can we work out a trade?"

Remember trades, or at least writing someone asking what can be worked out to obtain a copy? Not everyone is into this torrent scene, and right now a bit of a backlash is starting to manifest. I rarely talk publicly about my projects anymore because of the subsequent PMs asking if/when I'm going to torrent them.

I suppose the broadband internet culture has brought this on, and I don't expect it to go away. But let's be a bit more respectful around here and cool it with the "gimme" attitude. Don't make torrenting more of a chore than a desire to share.
Anyone know who originally wrote this quote???

Last edited by freezer; 2005-08-09 at 06:39 PM. Reason: misspellings
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes