View Single Post
Old 2023-05-18, 04:42 PM

Re: mp3/lossless question for audiophiles...

I think this is an interesting discussion. It is reassuring that this site is so strict about mp3s so you know where the file came from. On the other hand, I have always recorded shows with my satellite receiver and those broadcasts are in mp2 or aac. I had no other option to record the shows myself from all over the world. I liked the sound from 192, 256 or 320 kbps better than fm and always tried to record my shows via satellite to the extent possible. Fm-recordings I received were also sometimes in mono or with lots of hiss. If I can choose between a show from 1980 recorded with a cassette recorder or a rebroadcast via satellite, I resolutely choose the last option. Sometimes I see "soundboard" on a show and after downloading it I am hugely disappointed by the poor sound quality. It is lossless, but that is all. Are we calling these people audiophiles? With video, we apparently don't mind this. I regularly see video recordings on this site with dvb as the description and then it says 256 kbps as audio. Are we all going to get our old
recorder again to watch our videos? I don't think so. As someone said here, sometimes it's too much about numbers.
No worries, I will respect the rules and only upload my own audience recordings on this site. I actually only record audience recordings as a souvenir and hardly ever listen back to them. And I will never compress a wav or flac file to mp3, let's be clear about that.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes