View Single Post
Old 2005-12-21, 03:22 PM
sarcastic dork
TTD Staff

Re: problem: seeding really slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimojave
First off thanks for your feedback! I have two follow-up questions for you,

1) I disabled my firewall and my port number still shows in red brackets which I assume means that Traders Den thinks that I'm still firewalled. I've left it disabled for quite some time and it always shows in red brackets. Is the program not intelligent enough to know that I've turned it off and only goes by my settings at the time that I began the torrent? Beyond this, disabling my firewall didn't change my upload speed. I look forward to your thoughts about this.
Try restarting your computer once you have the firewall disabled for whatever port you have your BitTorrent Client set to. If this still doesn't work then are you connected via a larger server say through work or school? If so, then the firewall could be there and nothing you do on your computer will make a difference.

Quote:
2) Is it really wise to disable the firewall? I often leave my computer on overnight torrenting. When I check in the morning, I often get a "intruder tried to break into your system but was stopped" message. If I disable my firewall, doesn't this leave me vulnerable to attacks?
Like Five said, you only need to unblock the firewall for the port you have your client set to.

Quote:
PS. I'm using µTorrent, which as I wrote earlier typically works phenomenally. I doubt that my speed issue is related to the program since I often get upload speeds of 200 kb/s with other people's torrents. I look forward to your thoughts and ideas on this. Thanks!
It's not your client. It's def. a firewall issue. I went through this same thing just last week. Good luck.
I'm always up for a trade <--Best viewed using anything but Internet Explorer.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes