View Single Post
Old 2005-09-22, 09:11 AM
Shellac of North America

Re: Vinyl analogue to FLAC transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg
Questions
1 Should I use software to 'clean up' recordings? If yes what have people had experience with
2 Will nero 6 cope with analogue to digital conversion or do I need additional software ?
3 Do I plug the preamp into the Logitec surround sound controller line in port or into the soundcard ? Does it matter ?
4 Finally I am struggling to clearly identify all the vinyl ? anyone know of a good vinyl LZ boot website ? CD/DVD are everywhere !
1. Not to disagree with Aaron, but noise/click pop removal will not wreck your recording if you use it at an extremely low setting. Typically, its only good for getting rid of the small, nearly inaudible clicks. It will get rid of some of the bigger sounds, but make sure you listen to the recording carefully after running click removal.

That being said, Sonic Foundary's Noise Removal is pretty damn awesome.

For 95% of the clicks and pops in vinyl, I manually remove the clicks/pops. After a while, you really start to get used to what the clicks and pops look like and you're able to instantly delete each pop.

2. Technically, the A>D isnt handled by *any* software, its handled by your soundcard.

3. Depends on the manuf. but make sure that your record player does not need to run into a reciever before running into the line input. Record player recievers have something called an RIAA curve and this curve may or may not exist in your 'preamp' so if your first attempt at recording sounds terrible, this is why.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes