View Single Post
Old 2004-11-21, 05:48 PM
mgleason007

Re: Naming standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrab66
nice to see its not one of the rules, just because its the etree standard doesnt make it the best........
And what is your file naming suggestion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
This is just a guess, but it looks to me that the "etree standard" was put into place to allow etree admins to better handle their database routines. You must admit that between their SHN's in Circulation and db.etree.org sites, they've done quite an impressive job with the gd especially.

That said, I find that in general terms, the format of "artist-yy-mm-dd[DnTn (or title)] seems to be the logical way to work. Obviously, all this info isn't always available.

If SHN/FLAC portable players were more available to people in these trading circles, it would encourage everyone to work more with ID Tags, which in turn would influence file naming standards. Hasn't happened yet.
It's simply the best way to name files. If you accidentally download two shows to the same folder, or use newsgroups and download all of the files to the same folder, how else are you going to tell which files go to which show?

Along with your last point, I hope to be getting a Rio Karma for Christmas BTW, it's simple to add appropriate ID3 tags to FLAC files (or whatever they're called with FLAC) with foobar. There's a plugin that parses the text file and puts the appropriate info into the correct field for a whole show all at once. Anyone can feel free to PM me for it cuz I don't remember right now what it's called.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes