View Single Post
Old 2005-01-21, 11:10 AM

Re: .wav Audio only DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Bomber....nice link. This looks like software that will absolutely do what the poster is looking for.

Allow me to just reiterate that making this transfer will render the material untradeable, as it will perform non-reversible (read "lossy") transformations on the music. Unless the original material was recorded/mastered at 96kHz/24bits, please make sure that you store original data files for further seeding/trading purposes, and only use these DVDs for "personal use" in the same way you would traditionally use other lossy formats.
A pedant would ask why is that any less tradeable than 48KHz DAT recordings downsampled to 44.1KHz resolution? Upsampling does less damage than downsampling.

But I understand your point. My point is that it would be nice to see more 48KHz DAT files traded at their native resolution - espeically as tools like dvd-audio-creator (and cheap DVD-Audio authoring tools like DiscWelder Bronze) are starting to give us alternatives to the 25+ year old Red Book standard.

Just to clarify, DVD-Video supports 2 channels of 16/20/24-bit PCM audio at 48KHz or 96KHz. DVD-Audio supports multiple channels of 16/20/24-bit PCM audio at 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz and 192Khz (and maybe others). However, most DVD players don't support DVD-Audio.

Last edited by 4candles; 2005-01-21 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes