View Single Post
Old 2005-04-17, 08:04 AM
TTD Staff

Re: dvdr trading formats/standards discussion ?

bpurvis hit the nail on the head [pardon the old-man expression!]

one thing DVD trading hasn't been as picky about is the "format" its being traded in...most audiophiles [when trading an audio show] don't want it burnt to a cdr as a audio cd...they want it as a "data disc" [more specifiaclly ISO-9660]

likewise, DVD traders should become just as particular...this is because DVD is inherently lossy [there is no possible way to author a video losslessly]...given that, standards should be more carefully watched...i personally don't want a show burned to DVD-Video, cuz then i have to extract it, and that leaves the door open to numerous problems...

the argument will undoubtedly come up that not everyone who trades is an audiophile/videophile and why should us "quality snobs" hold everyone to the standards...but, for those who were trading video back before DVD was around, you know what lax standards leads to...

in re: to changin an .ifo file...i do believe thats true, but not when burning a UDF "data disc"...only when burning a DVD-Video [i'm pretty sure thats correct, but not 100%]...hence, the need to trade DVD in "data" format with md5 checksums, and NOT DVD-Video discs.