View Single Post
Old 2007-03-18, 07:13 AM
What'cha Got There?

Re: VHS to DVD capture

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles
Interesting......
Ok,...got things straightened out on the system now...

Well, I've learned something...and am glad on one level that I don't use this system on a regular basis (I mainly use this conversion method for my problem children tapes). Turns out that regardless of what codec I choose, the end result is always AVI 2 (reported by GSpot). I've never taken the time to check this intermediate step of my conversion process since it's usually converted over to MPEG2 for DVD burning within a couple hours (that, plus a lot of time I use this system for recording tv shows). So, the end verdict is that regardless of any other choices, you always end up with lossy DV. Interesting how what ever program I use to capture allows me to "choose" a codec from a list, but doesn't use it or report an error.
Still,...don't feel too bad about it considering that a minutes worth of recording runs around 250 megs so the compressing is minimal. And I've still got my All-In-Wonder to convert with....
I still have to say the 300 is a great item for cleaning up tapes. The sharpening/cleaning filters work better than I've seen in any software programs and if done right sets up a good foundation for post recording editing.
Sorry for the confusion and good this got cleared up in the end. Guess I'll have to make a choice based on some additional details now when deciding which system I use for converting now.