View Single Post
Old 2004-12-21, 05:15 PM
squalldog

Re: An all open source or at least free-ware PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Avast, how well does that work? Anti-Virus is something that I do not want to take any chances with. I still have a (legal) copy of Norton AV....when I was a student it was included with your tuition. It's version 7 though, and it'll only be a matter of time before I won't be able to update it anymore. I'll either have to download a cracked version of get a freeware one....
Quite frankly I think Avast (the free edition) is alright, but from personal experience it missed quite a bit of stuff (trojans mostly) on a computer I built for my brother and sister. I had it myself for about 30days over the summer and I thought it was pretty poor. It used to many resources (on my machine at least) and was quite annoying. In the past I have used Norton and McAfee, finding both to be Ok. Norton obviously has major drawbacks like it takes over your computer and is a bitch to uninstall. McAfee I thought did a god job at staying in the background but was only decent at catching all viruses. For the last 5 months or so I have been using NOD32 which I have to say is the best one out on the market right now. It is an array of options for the more advanced user and I have experience NO problems at all with viruses, trojans, etc. It is fast and takes up little memory. It is not free though, so you either would have to get a cracked version or pay the 40 bucks for it...I think it's well worth it.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes