Thread: Modern Day FMs
View Single Post
Old 2007-09-05, 04:03 PM

Re: Modern Day FMs

I'm not even certain why they are lossy encoding broadcasts before sending them to air... here's a bit of relevant recent conversation from the zep board:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
audio is really suffering these days... it seems like mostly every hifi cd that's sold doesn't get played, only ripped to mp3 and put on a computer and/or iPod. Its like you're totally out of fashion and a very strange person if you don't listen strictly to mp3/aac as your only source of music. Almost all the radio stations are broadcasting it now as well, which I don't understand. Are they short on HD space or something? I mean the analog broadcasts, of course it has an advantage for xfm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIBLY
You aren't saying XM or Sirius broadcast CD quality are you? Because there is no way they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
no I'm saying that since its digital information being sent on XM/Sirius etc the lossy compression allows them to send 1000 stations, which is a tradeoff which you get something for.

what doesn't make sense is that the mainstream local stations are broadcasting the same way they did in the old days, but sending out lossy audio. Some stations in Toronto are worse than others... Q107, which is the Toronto classic rock station sounds like 128kbps cbr mp3, but its just an analog broadcast like it was back in the 80s when it didn't have all that mp3 swish in it. Now I'm listening to mp3s on my same reciever but no extra 1,000 stations wtf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman
That was the product of Clear Channel/Infinity/and others.....they made every damn rock station in the country have the same lame 40 song playlist....thus taking a DJ and turning him/her into nothing more than an on air personality to lead in songs and repert PSA's and weather. The rest became automated and what easier/more efficiant way than have a computer do it.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes