View Single Post
Old 2010-04-01, 01:14 PM

Re: OK I've done everything but still Firewalled on Comcast

I'm on Comcast using a 1+ year old copy of uTorrent for Winblows and I haven't had any torrent problems/slowness/connectability within recent memory. My computer is up and seeding pretty much 24/7.

Elvis, you say "I was able to see my cable modem's settings and there's a firewall." What is the model of your cale modem?

Two questions for all of you ... How long have you folks had the same sort of cable modem? Weeks, months, years? I live in the far flung suburbs of Chicago. Do any of you folks live in the Chicagoland area?

back to tech stuff ... My computer is set to a static IP above the range that the Linksys gives out as DHCP IPs. I've got UPnP forwarding disabled in both the router and uTorrent. I recall running across something that said the security of UPnP was less than perfect. uTorrent is set to use a random high port of my choosing. That port is set in my Linksys to be forwarded to the static IP. My firewall is set to allow traffic on the port to come in. I've got uTorrent set to encrypt the packets, but to also allow in connections from folks who do not use encryption.

[[ I just looked and in the router and software firewall and I also allow in on TCP/IP and UDP the old/standard port(s) that uTorrent would normally use ... or used to use ... 6969, 6881-6889. I don't think that that is necessary. I probably just forgot to turn those ports off. But, I could be wrong about that. ]]

By "disabling the firewall on ... my router." I asume that you mean that you've put the static IP of your computer into the DMZ of the router. That's the only way to disable the HW router "firewall." That's dangerous as anything other than a test. It's a very good test technique.

I could be wrong, but I doubt that you would need/want to change anything with the cable modem.

What I've mainly done above is to describe a configuration that I know works on Comcast (for me/on my section of the network). That may not necessarily help you on a Mac with Vuse. Among the peers I connect to uTorrent for Mac 0.92 is not an uncommon client. It is beta, but I see a lot of people using it.

Could it be that my subnet of the Comcat network is so different from the subnets that you folks are on? I kinda doubt it, but ...
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes