View Single Post
Old 2010-02-26, 12:44 AM

Icon4 Did uTorrent sellout to Comcast and the FBI?

Did uTorrent sellout to Comcast and the FBI?

A couple weeks ago I was unceremoniously duped into "upgrading" my uTorrent 1.8.5 client to uTorrent 2.0. I'd grown accustomed to it obeying my custom settings set for FAST speed and multiple connections, but the new version ignored all that. Instead, my transfer rates switched to SLOW in both up and down directions.

Sometimes stupid silly slow. I was uploading a Tool concert to a single peer who had reached 96% complete at a pretty good clip when I switched to uTorrent 2.0. From that point on, tragedy, their download speed dropped to an excruciatingly morbid 0.1 kB/s. It hurt to see, but they stayed connected, and I was their only seeder so I kept it alive. Took a whole week for them to trickle down the final bytes.

98.6% complete. . . several hours would go by. . . 98.7% complete. . . ouch!

I went to the uTorrent web site and they give some mumbo jumbo about uTorrent 2.0 automatically policing my transfer rates is for my own good, that my ISP will thank me for it, that I should be happy it's slower.

Another nice feature they slipped in without my permission, one that would make any FBI agent blush and envy, is automatically sending my personal information across the internet from my computer to their server (and all points in between). This is being done in the name of "debugging" which, of course, is also for my own good. So no need to ask for my permission, I should be grateful they took my information.

To be fair, I read some guide, made an effort, tried these settings:

Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Name/Value

1) bt.tcp_rate_control: set value to FALSE in hopes it prevents the uTP transport from every being used.

2) bt.transp_disposition: set value to 5 in hopes it prevents the uTP transport from ever being used.

3) bt.ratelimit_tcp_only: set value to FALSE in hopes it prevents the uTP transport from interfering.

4) net.utp_target_delay: set value to 999999999 in hopes it prevents uTP transport from interfering.

5) net.utp_receive_delay: set value to 999999999 in hopes it prevents uTP transport from interfering.

. . . but in the end it wasn't as good as it used to be. I've since reverted back to version 1.8.5. Or, more accurately, the now "un-supported version 1.8.5" as the uTorrent website so proudly proclaims.

Anyone else have similar experiences or better outcomes?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes