View Single Post
Old 2004-12-03, 01:06 PM

Re: How do you organize your music on your comp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Well, Andy, there are two issues here. One is the lossy/lossless thing, the other is the DRM issue. The simple fact is that most of these things can be found as complete CDs for around $1 a song....

These online music services really aren't for collectors though, and I realize that. But I sure as hell won't be paying that much money for a stupid copy-protected lossy file. It's another example of coporations stealing from the ignorant.
Yep, couldn't agree more. I'd rather just buy the CD, as long as it's not copy-protected.

Quote:
Given a 5GB hard drive, I'd personally prefer an OGG-6 compressed from my own original CD...but that's just my choice. I always make them myself from the original source....
Hmmm... I never play the original CDs, I just rip them once then store them away. I used to convert all my CDs to LAME alt-preset-standard MP3s, but when I discovered lossless, I re-ripped and re-encoded my favourite albums in APE format. I doubt very much I could tell the difference in an ABX test (I've never tried), but... I dunno, it just makes me feel better to know that I'm listening to an exact copy of the music on the original CD. That's just placebo though. It helps when you have 400GB of storage available, but even that's going to be limiting me soon!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes