View Single Post
Old 2009-09-29, 06:58 PM
TTD Staff

Re: Questionable Trader: ingram

some data DVDs will player in some players, others won't...DVD-Video discs will almost always play in a standalone

DVD-Video discs conform to a specific file system format, UDFv1.02 bridged with ISO9660, & must contain folders labeled ******_TS [i.e. VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders]

"data DVDs" [DVD-ROM] can be written using UDF or ISO9660 exclusively [or bridged], and can contain any folder/file names

for a long time most serious collectors burned data DVDs when trading, because including the lineage info & checksums is important -- cuz honestly, no serious collector should be trading unverifiable discs...but now we know you can create an EXTRAS_TS folder [containing your md5, info text, artwork, etc] and add that to yer DVD-VIDEO disc and it conforms to standard / is playable

moral of the story for "watchable DVD" trading:
-- if yer gonna burn yer discs as "data DVDs" use the UDFv1.02 / ISO9660 bridged format option [DVD-ROM UDF/ISO], and only include three folders VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS, and EXTRAS_TS
-- burning with DVD-VIDEO mode then include your EXTRAS_TS folder
-- always keep lineage info & md5 checksums & include them with every trade

fwiw, i always burn discs the "data DVD" way using DVD-ROM [UDF/ISO]...add my 3 folder system and burn @ 4x speed to quality media...never have a complaint