View Single Post
Old 2005-08-07, 08:13 AM
TTD Staff

Re: DVD Trading Burning?

i'ma go ahead and disagree [no offense ya'll]...here's why--

alot of traders, and most serious collectors, want the text files and *definitely* the checksum for a DVD...its the same as when shn traders used to not care about getting a md5, but now almost everyone requires it...plus, despite what people think, burning a DVD-Video and then re-extracting it to trade *can* lead to generational loss, as small artifacts/bits/etc can be lost/added/moved in the process...just like trading Audio CDr's and having to re-extract with EAC. time has proven it's better kept in lossless data format.

plus, we're only talking about 30 or 40 cents here for the second disc, so i recommend trading and archiving in "data disc" format. FWIW, some standalones will actually play a data disc [DVD-ISO], you just have to make sure there is:
--Video_TS folder [with the appropriate video files from the torrent--.ifo, .bup, .vob]
--Audio_TS folder [empty]
--Extras_TS folder [put all the checksums, text files, artwork, etc. in here]

if yer standalone won't play a disc like this, then i personally recommend archiving it as a data disc, and burning a DVD-Video disc for personal watching.