View Single Post
Old 2007-03-14, 10:18 PM

Re: Rack System vs. cpu software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsdeep
thanks for the info, this thread, again, was mainly started as I KNOW that I don't do things the way "most people" do, but I've studied sound (on my own, not schooled) for close to 15 years...my main "playback system" is

Denon DJ cd player >
2 1400 watt Crown CSL amps bridged "parallel mono" >
18" Yamaha subs >
15" Cerwins with midrange horn

etc...not terribly impressive, I'm aware some people spend more on cables than I spent on the entire system.

that said, whenever I've eq'd, I've ALWAYS used a 31-band VISUAL analyzer in addition to my ears, when you can SEE where the bass (40hz - 200hz) is overloading or the cymbals (6.3khz - 12.5khz) are underachieving, you can compensate to make an "even bouncing spectrum" vs. the original tapes flaws...10khz and 12.5khz seem to be the "hiss frequencies" when dealing with generated tapes (i.e. drag one them down to -12db and that usually fixes the problem), and 31 bands is "every 1/3 octave" (or so I've been told), or, supposedly the maximum difference the human ear can discern.

basically, I'm TOTALLY "self taught", and while open to learning new methods, I'm so satisfied with what I'm doing now that it'd take a bit to win me over to a new way of thinking?

or am I just fucked in the head? :dorky gay winkie here:

I don't use smilies, they're too limiting.

flame away, my shoulders are large...and wide.

Absolutely not! Again, these are just suggestions and opinions about what we think should be done. Most of it is sound (no pun intended) advice. Do what you wish with your source material....note all of the changes in the text file and torrent away. What is important is to share the shows. If, at some point, some of the purists want to track you down, pay for a trip to your' home and do it their damn-selves if they don't like it. However, the advice still stands, transfer as faithful to the source tape as possible and torrent that and then, if you want, work your' own magic in a second transfer and remaster as much as you would like. Then, torrent that and notate all that you did in the torrent text file.

Hell, if nothing else, it will give you one hell of a share ratio if you torrent each file twice.

Don't overdo any remaster and be careful to note methodology as well. I got hammered and pulled (by the way mod's...thanks for the beating, I probably deserved it) on my 1st (but hopefully not last) attempt at remastering and sharing. It happenned because my lineage was unclear and it looked like (admittedly so) that I had burned to CD-r and then ripped the entire file as a single .wav. This was assumed, and I would have made the same assumption in retrospect, because I listed EAC in my lineage. Actually, what I had done was used audacity to piece the waves extracted using FLAC front end. I had then compared that wave file created in Audacity by ripping the CD-r of the show I had burned and using EAC to compare the 2 files to make sure they weren't too dissimilar before I started tinkering with the raw audio. I know that sounds horribly naive, but what can I say? I then made 2 minor changes. I changed the speed because the original was played between 5 and 8 percent too fast. I then boosted the bass very slightly.

I said all of that to say this. The torrent was pulled because it looked like I had broken the "no torrents from CD-r rips" policy. It was totally my fault because my lineage was incomplete and caused there to be questions raised. After I torrented the file, I went on a vacation and was away from a computer for a while. When I returned the file had been yanked and I was embarrassed because I looked like the friggin noob I was to this stuff.

So be careful with any remastering, but these are your' source tapes, and if you want to tinker then do it.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes