View Single Post
Old 2006-01-07, 12:00 PM

Re: Speeds negligible with BT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadu
Keep the firewall on...I don't use XP but you have to allow your Bit Torrrent in/outs. The other things should remain firewalled.

This happened to me once when my C: which wasn't even the drive I was saving to was almost full. I cleaned out C: and my download speeds picked up. Your computer may just be a little messed right now.

Spyware scan?
Virus Scan?

What are your speeds when downloading HTTP? or FTP?

good luck
I'll leave the Windows Firewall off until I get something worked out here, and then turn it back on (soon). I have 3 physical hard drives (one partitioned, so 4 letter drives). I save to different drives. One has 28GB free, one has 154GB free, one has 8GB free (OS drive, I don't save stuff there), and the last has 70GB free.
I'll do all the scans presently. Virus, spyware, etc.
Speeds when downloading HTTP are great. Absolutely maxed out. 403.9kB/s (evidenced by DU meter when running bandwidth check with results below). Haven't downloaded anything with FTP, so I can't speak about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Jay, did you get results for both your upload and your download speeds? Also, what are your upload speeds looking like when you connect to a torrent? Is it possible that you are allowing your upload speed to max out and thus making your download speeds really, really slow? I usually suggest to people that they set there upload speed to about 80% of it's max and then play with it from there (I know that I can go to about 95% of max when I am only downloading one torrent, and about 90% when I am downloading two).
006-01-07 12:57:49 EST: 3015 / 226
Your download speed : 3015 kbps or 376.9 KB/sec.
Your upload speed : 226 kbps or 28.2 KB/sec.
My upload speed is rationally less than my download speed. That is to say, if I do happen to hit 6kb down, I'd send probably 8% of that back up. My connection is definately not saturated.