View Single Post
Old 2009-06-16, 10:39 PM

Is 64 bit that big of a deal? Here's why I ask...

Ok.....I came across a deal and snatched it up....with certain assumptions that proved wrong. The seller did not lie...I just assumed and now I doubt the seller would have even known if I had asked.

I bought an hp xw8000. It has 2-dual core 3.2ghz xeon processors......being dual xeon I assumed it was 64bit....have now determined it is 32bit. I wasn't aware of the actual age of the machine or I think i might have known better.

Question is this: Does it really matter? I bought this beast for $150. Can I really go wrong? It is a major upgrade from what I have now and I will be running Linux mostly (dual booting with either XP Pro or Vista Ultimate) and maxing out the RAM to 12gig (or whatever amount I determine is the most my Linux distro will allow).

It has PLENTY of PCI slots..a coupla PCI express and an AGP slot. Not to mention FIREWIRE and USB2.0. IDE, SCSI, and SATA support.

Was thinking of using it as an A/V workstation. I have gone as far as I can with my old stuff (Athlon 1ghz single core running at 750mhz....don't ask). Migrating to Linux breathed new life into the machine a coupla years ago but, alas...it is what it is.

I have accumulated some video equipment (TBC, Proc Amp and detailer) and really want to do some serious analog video conversions. Also, small potatoes recording studio setup. Kind of a multimedia catch all.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes