View Single Post
Old 2005-07-12, 09:33 AM
You are TOO

Re: Help w/external harddrive crash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan
...so I'd have to swap them I suppose.
Yes, that's all you'd have to do. If on XP, nothing else should be necessary - just swap 'em and make sure the pins are ok. Make sure your jumper is set to SLAVE or CS (cable select).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
does anybody know of a prog which can test to see if a HD is beginning to die on a PC? A friend of mine on Linux told me he found a way to do it on that os but it would be nice to know how to check on PC because every HD eventually fails.
There are many programs that can monitor drives and let you know what's what. Look for a S.M.A.R.T. drive monitor program. All HD's don't use this technology, so make sure your HD has this tech first. As far as I know, all of the newer drives use it. It's the older ones that don't. You should be able to go to the manufacturer's site to look up your HD model to see if it uses SMART. Sorry, but I can't recommend a good one. I don't use them. I have one that I've used a few times, but to be accurate, they should be running in the background all the time. I just don't like the extra resources being used, though it's not much anyway.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes