View Single Post
Old 2007-05-11, 03:03 AM
Tubular

Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist
I also think an original recording at mp3 that was properly remastered could very well be as good as anything if it's the best source available (ie the only recording from those mics in that room that day).
Just to say 'never an mp3 no matter what' is elitist, and equivalent to audio racism.
Lots to think about...
I tend to agree, esp. if it is the only recording from that night. Also "best sounding" is highly subjective. Where it gets tricky is when you have several sources from one show and some are recorded at different resolutions (some using lossy compression), locations, and microphone types. Let's say someone runs Neumann U89i's > Tascam HD-P2 @ 24/192 from the taper's section and someone else runs FOB stealth Oktava's or other good but lower cost mics (the only FOB stealth rig running that night) > mp3 recorder or MD ATRAC @16/44.1. Some people may prefer the boomier, more distant hi-res sound from the high $$ rig section tape, and some may prefer the up-close SBD-like sound (although lossy, lower res, and probably chatty) from the el-cheapo FOB stealth. (Also, some people prefer Schoeps DAT section tapes over Schoeps DAT stealth FOB's.) Does TTD ban the lossy compression FOB even though a lot of people may consider it to be the better sounding source? What about webcasts, which may be the only SBD ever available from a show?

Last edited by Tubular; 2007-05-11 at 03:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes