View Single Post
Old 2009-01-05, 10:04 AM

Re: What computer hardware/software to use to get cassete to computer?

I'm not saying what your using is bad or wrong, but for the degree of editing I do, I couldn't make due with what the alesis has to offer

I'm working on a show right now and there are a few, maybe 4 instances where the volume spikes intensly. There are multiple left and right channel dropouts that need spliced/patched, and I have to crossfade 4 tape flips. It needs a good eq, some light compression, and the stereo image needs centered and widened. With all of these, I used a phase scope, and FFT meter, and a spectral meter in the audio montage utility of wavelab. I fix in montage, set my plugs, do one render and it's totally cleaned up. I also have the luxury of the undo button where your tweaks are in the transfer and permanent. If you don't like it after your done, your stuck doing another transfer. I can render and undo 10 times in the same time span it would take you to retransfer if I needed to with no ill effect to the files or tapes ect ect.

Not sure how using the alesis would be better (for me) than using a cheaper korg MR-1 that can double as a field recorder, and transfers in DSD coupled with wavelab and UAD cards for my needs.

If you want to d a down and dirty EQ then be done, the alesis looks great. I guess it just depends on what degree you want to go to. Just laying all the options on the table
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes