View Single Post
Old 2007-11-02, 08:27 AM

Question Question about the "no silver CD >> CDR transfer" rule

(dcbullet suggested I post this question here after one of my torrents was pulled recently)

I was wondering if I could get some clarification on the "no silver CD >> CDR transfer" rule. Can one of the mods explain the reasoning behind that rule?

I'm a little confused because a CDR copy of an original CD is not allowed - but I see plenty of torrents here at TTD where multiple generations of cassette transfers ARE accepted. That makes no sense to me since a cassette tape copy (no matter how good it is) is still not going to have the dynamic range of a CD/CDR. Each time you make a cassette generational copy, you're losing some range data.

I would have thought the opposite rule to be in effect (no uploads with cassette lineage but Silver CD > CDR would be okay).

When I make a CDR rip from a silver disc, I use EAC. I have my read & write offsets configured perfectly so that my .LOG files generated by my rip have 100% error-free rips. I also include a .CUE file so that a truly perfect copy can be made by the next person who snatches these files. So if these are perfect extractions from silver CDs & perfect CDR writes (according to EAC logs, etc.) - how come those aren't allowed but cassette lineages are?

I'm not trying to start a flame war on this topic. Just asking for clarification on why this rule is in place. Thanks!

Last edited by superhokie; 2007-11-02 at 08:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes