View Single Post
Old 2005-09-27, 09:45 AM

Dual Layer DVD's & the layer break

I'm working on my first dual layer dvd and I'm running into an issue setting the layer break where I want it. Ideally I'd like it to fall between songs, but apparently that's not possible with the show I'm working on.

I'm working on a mac, using final cut pro & dvd studio pro but I'd love to hear some replies from PC users, too. What's your opinion on the layer break? Does it annoy you when it's in the middle of a song? Have any of you successfully gotten your layer transition to fall between songs? Does the layer break remain constant on multiple burns of the disc? I'm reading on mac forums that Toast, the best burning app for macs, doesn't recognize the dvd studio pro layer breaks and just reassigns one itself automatically. Do PC apps do the same thing. I've only downloaded and burned two DL dvd's off here (Les Claypool's FFFB @ the tabernacle and Neil Young at Bonneroo.) I haven't found the layer break in the Neil DVD, yet, but on my copy of the Les dvd, the layer break falls right near the beginning of Pigs. Is that where it falls on other people's copies or is that a result of my burning the video_ts folder with Toast? I've also noticed the layer break isn't obvious when playing the dvd in a dvd-rom drive.

For the DL dvd, I'm working on now, I'm debating whether to keep it on a DL disc with the layer break interuppting a song or if I should split it into two single layer discs and I'd really appreciate some feedback.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes