View Single Post
Old 2008-01-08, 05:48 PM
TTD Staff

Re: Yellow Lights! Arrrgh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzz123 View Post
Should I set my local IP address in the router to the IP address I'm seeing on canyouseeme.org? It seems like maybe the IP address mismatch is causing the problem now?
There are two different types of IP addresses that you need to be concerned about. There is the one given to you by your ISP and then there is the one given to your computer by your router. The one that canyouseeme is reporting is the one your ISP gives to you. The one that portforward is concerned about is the one your router gives to you. The one you get from your router is what we call your local IP and the one that we want to be static - meaning that is doesn't change. That one looks like 192.168.1.xxx. We want it to stay static so that we can forward ports through your router to that same IP. If it were dynamic - meaning it changed all the time - then you would have to go into your router all the time and let it know your new local IP.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes